Curate + Imbibe | How to Time Block Your Work Day + FREE download
Do you wish you had more time in the day to get things done? Or would you just binge watch Stranger Things? Working smarter, not harder is one of our mottos here at SC and we want to give you some tried and true tips on how to accomplish just that. While we're still working to perfect the four hour work day, here are five tips to time block your work day.
- Schedule high priority task during your highest productivity times of the day.Whether it be 5 o’clock in the morning or 9 o’clock at night, find out when you work your best and hardest. Despite popular believe, everyone's productivity hour is different. Some people are morning people and some are night owls. Your job is to find out when that time is and use it to your advantage to get shit done.
- Get into a timely routine. Be sure to check email, respond to social media comments and watch YouTube at the same time each day. IMPORTANT: Limit your time on each. We like to use the 20 minute rule. Set your timer on your phone and hold yourself accountable.
- Pick three tasks that you MUST complete each day. This includes the little things... gym, family time, work, etc. After you complete those three tasks or block time for them to get completed, whatever you accomplish outside of that will feel as if you are going over and above. When you shift your mindset to thinking “I got these extra items done” verses “I didn’t get my to-do list done,” you start to feel more accomplished and less frazzled that you have things to do.
- It’s okay to say no. When you're overwhelmed or have deadlines, the best thing you can do is to say no to new tasks or projects.
- Carry it on over. It’s okay to carry tasks over to the next day. Put it on your first thing to get done. TIP: If you carry over a task for more than three days in a row, it's time to rethink if that task is even worth doing. Try to outsource that task to free up your time.
Don't forget to schedule your ‘me’ time, workouts, and even binge-watching time. We all need a break from work every now and then. You shouldn't have to feel like you're stuck working 14 hour days just because you're an entrepreneur. Remember the reason why you decided to work for yourself. One of those reasons is probably to have more time to do the things you love. So be sure to add that to your list!
We created a FREE guide for you to help you schedule and time block your work days below. Don't be afraid to leave a comment and let us know what's working and what's not. We'd love to know how your days go.